Sunday 10 June 2012

Othilie's Simple Scarf

In April I found a skein of lovely Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Baby Fair Isle Effect DK in a lovely blue, which I had previously bought at Hobbycraft to practice stitches with, and i decided to make a scarf out of it. However this was before I had discovered Ravelry so I decided to make just make it out of Double Trebles, since it is a fast stitch and I needed practice, but as I started to get into it I felt like it was getting too wide so I added in some rows of Double Crochet to tighten it up a bit :) So I invented my own pattern, and I've decided to share it with you guys :) The scarf is finally done and measures 2m long :)

Marty Investigating the yarn :)
 I'm very pleased with my scarf and how it turned out, it is very soft and comfy and will be great when autumn comes

And as I promised you, my pattern:

Othilie’s Simple Scarf
This is a simple crochet scarf, which is suitable for crocheters of any skill :) Since the pattern is very simple it shows of a variegated yarn very well. For this scarf I used Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Baby Fair Isle Effect DK in a blue colour, I needed 3 skeins for this scarf, measuring a total of 480m or 525 yards and 150 grams. The yarn calls for a 4 mm hook, but I wanted it slightly more airy, so I used a 6mm hook for this scarf. The finished scarf measures 2 meter long, but can be made to any size preferred.

Terminology:
ch = Chain
dc = Double Crochet (Single Crochet)
dtr = Double Treble (Treble)
British terminology (American terminology)

Pattern:
Worked back and forth.
Crochet 31 ch, dc in the 2nd ch from the hook and dc in every ch untill the end, so that you end up with 30 double crochets. Turn.
Ch 1, dc in every stitch, (30 stitches). Turn.
*4 ch to start with, then double treble in each dc, (30 dtr including the chains). Turn.* Repeat between ** so that you have a total of 6 rows with double trebles.
*1 chain, dc in each dtr, (30dc). Turn.* Repeat between ** so that you have a total of 2 rows with dc.
Repeat 6 rows of dtr and 2 rows of dc, make sure you always have 30 stitches in a row and until the scarf is required length, ending in 2 rows of dc.
The 2 rows of dc in between is to tighten up the scarf so that it doesn’t get too loose or too wide.

Here you can see the stitches up close, Double Trebles and Double Crochet.

I'm letting the pattern be free because I don't want to earn money on it, all I want is for people to use the lovely art of crochet and to create wonderful things :) I hope all of you will enjoy your scarfs, I certainly will enjoy mine, it is SOOOO soft and cuddly!

Good luck :)

2 comments: